Now that I have my Harry, Ron and Hermione ornaments, I decided I needed to get Quidditch brooms into the picture. These were the easiest to make. They’re so cute and tiny. I love miniatures ♥♥♥
I decided to make the Nimbus 2000, Firebolt and Bluebottle.
You will need:
- Mini brooms ( I got mine at Michaels; 5 to a pack). Michaels: mini wood broom
- Acrylic Paints:
- Craft Smart – Brick Red
- Craft Smart – King’s Gold
- Apple Barrel – Black
- Craft Smart – Dark Grey
- Craft Smart – Espresso
- FolkArt – Terracotta
- Washi Tape – Silver, Gold
- Mod Podge – Matte
What to do?
- I decided to make the Nimbus 2000 first. You will need the brick red, king’s gold paints and gold washi tape.
- Paint the entire broom with the brick red and let dry for 30 mins. Add 1 more coat of paint and let dry.
- Use the back end of a fine tipped brush to gently write out Nimbus 2000 on the handle of the broom. (Does not have to be exact letters, just a hint of the word is enough).
- Let everything dry for 30 mins.
- Cut out a small section of the gold washi tape and cut into small, thin strips. Wrap the tape 2-3 times around the middle of the broom (where the stick meets the bristles).
- I used matte mod podge over the tape to further secure it.
I repeated the same for the other 2 brooms. The blue bottle was the easiest. Just paint the broom black and add some silver paint to the point where the bristles meet the broom. 🙂
The Firebolt involves a little more paint work.
- First, paint the bristles with the Espresso paint.
- After drying, paint the portion of the broom attached to the bristles the Dark Grey until the middle of the broom.
- After drying, paint the end of the broom with Terracotta until it blends with the grey.
- Cut out a small section of the silver washi tape and cut into small, thin strips. Wrap the tape 2-3 times around the middle of the broom (where the stick meets the bristles).
- I used matte mod podge over the tape to further secure it. 🙂
I had 2 extra brooms in the pack and I used metallic red and dark gold to paint them. Added some line details with metallic colors and Voila!! 5 perfect brooms complete to hang on your tree. Just tie some cord to the middle of the brooms and make a loop at the other end to hang. Hope you enjoyed doing this as much as I did 🙂