Recently, I made a monster book storage box from harry potter for a friend’s birthday (Monster book of Monsters page). My other friends loved it and wanted a similar one so they could pet it. Since Valentine’s Day was just around the corner, I decided to make some red / pink fuzzy little trinket boxes for them to pet and love on.
Michael’s and Joann’s have come out with a lot of crafting material for valentine’s day. They have some cute, small, wood trinket boxes for a dollar. I got 4 of those, some red faux fur and my glue gun and I was all set.
What you need:
- Wooden trinket boxes (Michael’s wood box)
- Darice faux craft fur – Red (Joann’s faux red fur)
- Acrylic paint – Bright Red
- Hot glue gun
- Googly eyes (Michaels wiggly eyes)
- Valentine’s themed felt stickers (optional)
What you do:
- Paint your boxes with the acrylic red paint (one coat is enough) and let dry.
- Open up the faux fur and lay the box on the inner layer of the fur (the soft furry layer should face down). Make sure there is an extra strip of fur on all 4 sides of the box.
- Use a hot glue gun to stick the fur starting from one side to the other (you will need to stick the fur layer on in sections adding glue as you go). Apply even pressure while sticking to avoid air bubbles.
- Once your fur layer is attached, use scissors to cut triangular bits out of all sides to give an appearance of fingers or tentacles (optional).
- Pull out 2 red eyes (or contrasting color) from your pack and use hot glue to attach them to the middle of the fur on the top of the box.
- Lift up the fur around the eyes slightly to give a depressed look.
- You can stick cute felt quote stickers on the inside of the box (optional).
Your furry, mischievous munchkins are ready. Fill the box with some precious trinkets or some sweet smelling flower petals for a fun accessory in your room. These also make cute gifts for friends. Play around with the colors for different themes (for example: green for St. Patrick’s day, purple / green/ gold for Mardi Gras etc).