I recently went to World Market and they had a whole section with books on making terrariums. That was my first time seeing that word; I didn’t even know what that meant. Once I looked it up, I knew I was definitely going to make one. These are perfect as gifts especially for people who love gardening.
Terrariums are ecosystems in glass bowls or jars containing soil, plants and garden decor. There are certain plants called Tillandsia or Air plants that can survive with the least amount of water which is perfect for me. I am terrible at keeping plants alive; I either forget to water or add too much. This plant is perfect because it only needs 2-3 hours of dunking in water every 7-10 days….Yay!!
What you need:
- Glass terrarium bowls of different sizes (you can purchase them at craft stores; see link Joann’s hanging glass bowl) .
- Cord / Twine to hang
- Wall hooks / curved screws for hanging
- Packages of moss (assorted colors), colored sand, plants, bushes (all available in the floral section of a craft store; see link Michaels Moss Varieties)
- Miniatures – woodland creatures, fairies, gnomes etc (Craft stores have a lot of mini fairy garden items for Spring; see link Michaels Minis)
- Paper and Pencil
- Live plants – Tillandsia, Succulents (optional)
What to do:
- Clean out your bowls with a dry napkin to remove dust.
- Design your bowls using paper and pencil.
- Lay out your sand at the bottom to create different layers (optional: use multiple colors)
- Add your moss, little creatures, fairies etc to make different looking displays ( I added little birds, a fairy house and colored moss).
- An optional step is to add the real plants in between the mix. Use twine to hang from the ceiling (use curved screws or hooks for hanging).
- For the table top display, I used colored sand, an outdoor forest scene with a fox and fairies, a little stream and some plants. I added an extra house on a cardboard box (painted black) to add dimension and put in rabbits and squirrels. I added some fine silver glitter over everything.