We all know what Sound is…Vibrations that travel through air that are heard when they reach a living being’s ear. But there are so many interesting little tidbits to know about sound, stuff you would have never heard of before. I know I didn’t know some of these facts until quite recently.
- There is no sound in space.
- Sound travels a lot faster through certain mediums than air (4.3 times more in water, 10 times more through granite etc).
- Acousticophobia is the fear of sound.
- Sound waves are not felt only by the ear (some parts of your body actually vibrate in response to sound waves).
- Sound canceling headphones work by making a sound wave out of phase with the original and canceling it out.
- Most people hate the sound of their voice recorded. This is because our skull changes the resonance from within creating more bass.
Just a few fun little nuggets I thought I’d share.