Want to make your own cute, fun little coasters for your favorite hot drink?? Maybe drink-themed? Or maybe something that has your favorite saying on it??
Read on….. 🙂
I decided to make some coffee and tea themed ones coz those are my favorite beverages.
You will need:
- Cork squares (See link: Joann’s Cork Squares)
- Rubber Stamps in your theme (I got mine at Hobby Lobby; see link Hobby Lobby Stamps)
- Stamp Ink Pads – Black (Make sure you get the Archival ink pad, dries faster and does not smudge; see link Archival Ink Pad)
- Acrylic Paint – Black, Beige, Metallic Champagne
- Paper, Pencil and Ruler
- Mod Podge – Gloss / Matte
What you do?
- Get your 4 cork squares and design a draft on the paper of your stamps and the layout.
- Use the pencil and ruler to draw alternating vertical and horizontal strips to make small squares on the coasters.
- Use the beige paint to color in the alternating small squares on one of the squares and do the same with the metallic champagne on another square.
- Press the stamp of your choice on the ink pad and apply even pressure. Lift the stamp and gently press it over your square, applying even pressure over the entire stamp.
- Let the stamp dry for 6-8 hrs (some stamps will take a long time to dry).
- Add fun sayings or quotes with the paint brush and black ink. Let dry.
- Cover the entire coaster with a layer of mod podge (I used the gloss).
Your cute little coasters are ready to be used ♥♥♥ and the mod podge will help clean spills easily. Also, the cork coasters will not leave marks on your table. Enjoy!!!
These make cute li’l gifts for friends. Just tie a few home made coasters with cord or twine and gift away.
Fun lil tidbit: Tegestology is the practice of collecting coasters or beermats. If you started collecting them, you would be a Tegestologist……Happy collecting.