With Mardi Gras around the corner, it will be time to pull out the colorful masks and feather bands. Why not go unique and make your own mask? No other will match yours.
You will need:
- Mask of your choice: I chose an eye mask for my first(available at any craft store, link: Michaels Masks)
- Acrylic Paint – Metallic gold and bronze
- Accents like feathers, flowers, gemstones etc (available at craft stores)
- Designed ‘Bling on a roll’ tape from Michaels in gold (Link: Bling On A Roll)
- Glitter Glue – Bronze (see link: Michaels Glitter Glue)
- Hot Glue Gun
What you do:
- Paint the entire mask with the metallic gold and let dry for 20 mins (you might need to use 1-2 coats).
- Use your pencil to draw your design lightly on the mask, over the paint (I went with swirly patterns along the top and sides of the mask.
- Color the swirls in with the bronze paint and dry for 20 mins.
- Use the bronze glitter glue to highlight the swirls covered in bronze paint to highlight and give more of a dimensional look. Let dry for 24 hours (gently touch a corner of the glue to see if it is dry).
- Cut the gold bling on a roll to outline the eye cutouts.
- Attach yellow, green and purple feathers to one corner of the mask with hot glue (make sure you glue the feathers to the inside of the mask). Let dry.
- Add flowers or gemstones with the hot glue to decorate your mask.
And Voila!! Your amazing Mardi Gras mask is ready 🙂
Here’s another one I played with. I used a mask with a stick attached and used a careful blending of metallic blue and silver paints with some designed tape accents and glitter glue. I love how the lips turned out.
I made this full face one for a friend last year and she loved it (she chose the colors). Perfect for Mardi Gras. I especially love the huge gemstone on top ♥♥