We all have different skin types and issues that we cope with. But the most painful ones are those found on our faces. Your face is what is seen by other individuals more than any other part of you and you want to keep it fresh and clean with no blemishes marring it. This post will help you create your own custom face mask, to take care of certain issues you might have, based on my own experiences and those around me.
I have issues with dryness and acne (especially old acne scars). I have tried different natural remedies to combat or cure my problems and I have found a few to be quite effective.
For dry skin:
You need strong moisturizing ingredients to reduce dryness and keep your skin soft and supple. Honey, Aloe vera, Cucumber and Avocado are some of the best natural ingredients to restore moisture and reduce flakiness in skin.
- Honey and Avocado Mask – Honey is extremely moisturizing and locks in moisture from the air on to your skin while avocado has natural oils that penetrate deep into the skin layers to soften flaky skin sections. Take half of a ripe avocado in a bowl and mash it till you have a uniform, smooth paste. Add 3-4 tablespoons of honey to the bowl and mix evenly. Apply on skin and leave for 10 mins. Rinse it with a wash cloth in cool water. Repeat this twice a week and you will notice a huge difference.
- Cucumber and Aloe Vera – Cucumber has antioxidants that help cool and soothe your skin while aloe vera helps reduce itchiness due to flaky skin. Peel and cut a small cucumber and place in a blender. Add 2-3 spoons of aloe vera and blend uniformly to get a paste. Apply this paste on your face, leave for 30 mins and wipe gently with a damp cloth.
For acne-prone skin:
Any citrus based fruit with honey is your best friend. Fruits like Orange, Lemon etc have tons of Vitamin C and fight free radicals improving the overall tone of your skin.
- Orange Peel Honey Mask – Peel out the skin of an orange and cut in to small pieces. Let them dry completely. After drying, grind them into a fine powder. Mix 2-3 teaspoons of the powder with 2-3 teaspoons of honey to form a smooth paste. Apply this on your acne spots and leave for 10-15 mins. Rinse with lukewarm water. Use an ice cube to rub on your face to close your pores. Repeat twice a week.
- Cinnamon Honey Mask – Get a tablespoon of cinnamon in a small bowl and add 3-4 teaspoons of honey. Mix to get a uniform paste. Apply on face and leave for 15 mins (you might notice some tingling initially). Rinse off with lukewarm water and pat dry. Moisturize after drying. Do this once a week as the cinnamon can cause slight dryness of skin. Make sure you always moisturize after using this mask. The cinnamon, over a period of time, helps to lighten old acne scars.
For oily skin:
Oily skin probably requires the most attention because of constant clogging of pores, blackheads and acne issues. You don’t want to use too many oil based products on your face as this might make your skin more oily. Instead, try to use oil-free products and more water-based products.
- Natural fruit facials – Juices from tomato, papaya and citrus fruits (like grapefruit, lemon etc) are perfect for combating oily skin. These fruits contain a lot of Vitamin C and astringent oils to reduce greasy skin, control large pores and act as toners to improve skin complexion . Just squeeze some juice from the fruit and apply on face with a cotton ball. Leave for 5-10 mins (you might notice a slight tingling which is not bad) and rinse gently with warm water.
- Oatmeal mask – Oatmeal absorbs moisture and helps reduce oils on your skin. Combine 2 tablespoons of oatmeal with pureed cucumber (helps cool skin) and apply. Gently scrub your face (the oatmeal acts as an exfoliant). Wash after 5 mins with luke warm water. Use this mask once a week to notice a change.
Hope these tips help get rid of unwanted blemishes and annoying acne scars 🙂
A couple of these have worked wonderfully for me, mainly in reducing acne and it’s resulting scars (cinnamon mask) , as well as combating dryness (honey based masks). My friend who has oily skin has tried the tomato juice mask and it has helped even out her skin a lot.