Why not make your own tea bags and custom fill it with your special blend? You can add your own spices, loose tea and any other herbs you wish.
Below, I will show you how to make your own tea bag using a coffee filter. You can also use muslin, nylon or any big scraps of silk laying around (wash them first). You can also make them in different shapes but that might require some minor stitching of the borders which may take a little more time and patience.
You will need:
- A coffee filter
- Pencil and Scissors
- Twine or Cord
What you do:
- Lay the filter flat on a surface. Draw a line with pencil on either side of the filter (choose your own thickness depending on how thick or thin you want the tea bag).
- Cut out the lines to get a thick strip of filter. Add some of your loose tea to the center of the filter (approx 1 table spoon).
- Fold one end of the filter almost all the way (about 3/4th the length) to the other end leaving a small strip unfolded.
- Fold the other end (smaller end) over the bigger fold.
- Re-fold the same end as step 4 over the top of the existing thin fold.
- Fold the bottom of the entire strip till it meets the top. Gently shake your little bag till all the tea settles to the bottom. Fold the upper corners of the bag into small triangles.
- Staple the triangles together (after washing the staples in warm water with soap).
- Leave as is or staple the triangles using a small strip of cord to easily dip into your mug. Enjoy!