This post is an easy DIY to make the golden egg used as a prize in the first task at the Triwizard Tournament.
What you need:
- Golden easter egg (available at any craft store; easier to find in the months close to easter)
- An old egg carton laying around
- Acrylic Paints: Metallic Gold, Dark Espresso for detailing (or dark brown fine tip marker)
- Hot Glue
- Scissors and Pencil
- Thin and Thick brushes
What you do:
- I purchased a box of golden eggs from Michaels for a dollar (since it’s pre-easter time, everything is on sale).
- Cut one egg cup from the carton; trim it so you have a perfect, circular cup (be careful and do not poke yourselves).
- Make 5 slits from the ends to the center of the cup.
- Fold outward to form a flower like shape and trim the thickness of each petal to form a skinny triangle. Use a pencil to measure the length and thickness so all triangles are uniform.
- Paint the entire cut out with metallic gold paint and let dry for 30 mins (if the egg doesn’t match, paint the egg the same gold as the cutout).
- Fold the petals inward. Add hot glue to the center of the cutout and stick it to the top of the egg. Hold firmly for a few seconds till attached.
- Add hot glue to the petals and stick them to the egg. Paint over the visible hot glue with gold paint and let dry for 30 mins.
- Search on Google for ‘Harry Potter Golden Egg’ (Link: Golden Egg Details) to find the details to draw on the egg. Use a brown marker or paint to put in the details and let dry.