Working in academia, I’ve met many PhD students who’ve struggled to obtain their degree. While it is fun and exciting to conduct your own experiments, it can be quite daunting. A lot of candidates quit early enough to pursue other interests, but those that stuck with it have struggles that I wouldn’t want to go through.
- Desperately waiting every year to see if the grant money gets renewed.
- Work, work, work on experiments hoping that at least one combination works.
- You say good bye to 5-7 years of your life, goodbye to friends / family and socializing of any type.
- Physical and mental issues – Anxiety, depression, poor eating habits are just a few of the problems faced.
- Having to work on drafting your thesis.
- Everyone meeting you only asks one thing “When do you finally graduate? You’ve been here forever”.
- The lab becomes your home.
- Your ‘actual’ home becomes storage for your belongings.