Do you get exhausted convincing your children to eat healthy snacks instead of candy and sugar? Or are you trying to stave off those 3 pm hunger pangs and your mind automatically goes to sugar as an option?
Why not make your own edible terrariums as snack boxes for your li’l ones (and yourself) by including some healthy options and designing them like mini gardens? 🙂
What you need:
- Small glass, seal-able jars (mason jars work too)
- Snacks – Nuts like pecans or walnuts, trail mix, broccoli, celery, fruits, other fruit snacks etc
- Peanut butter (to hold things in place and a decent source of protein)
- Nutella (coz it’s yummy; lol)
- Graham crackers
- Green food coloring (available in the bakery section at any grocery store)
What you do:
- Make sure your jar is clean and dry. Gather all of your snacks together.
- Start with a thin layer of nuts. I chopped some walnuts and pecans and used it as a base layer.
- A layer of trail mix (almonds, peanuts, chocolate chips and raisins) on top covered by another thin layer of ground up pecans.
- Break up some graham crackers into a fine powder using a wood / steel ladle.
- Add some green food coloring to it and mix to get a uniform green mixture (this will be used as moss for your terrarium). Add a few blobs into your jar as little moss mounds.
- Place some steamed broccoli with a little bit of peanut butter at the bottom to make it stick in your layer. (You can use raw or steamed broccoli; just make sure you add it to the jar right before eating).
- Add a few nuts in between the broccoli to look like rocks. Use peanut butter or Nutella to secure it to the nut layer.
I made 1 more just coz 🙂
I added a base layer of trail mix, to resemble rocks. I added Nutella on top of it and added some broccoli, pretzel sticks and some flower shapes that I made form fruit roll-ups. It looks so colorful and cute. Plus there’s chocolate, nuts, fruits and veggies.
You can also use celery with peanut butter, avocados, eggs, sliced strawberries / bananas in different shapes or use chocolate rocks if you want something extra sweet etc. Just play around with your food options and have fun with it.