Time for a new DIY series.. 😀 😀
I do not know a lot about LOTR as I do about Harry Potter as I never read the books. I watched the movies 2 years ago and thought it to be a very engaging series. I definitely will get around to reading the books at some point.
I have had a few suggestions from bloggers to try and include some LOTR DIYs as part of my ongoing fantasy series’….. so here goes 🙂
The easiest DIYs to start with are bookmarks. They’re easily made and do not require a lot of materials.
What you need:
- Cardstock in different colors (Michaels usually sells them for 19-50 cents).
- Matte mod podge or Elmer’s glue
- Scissors and pencil
- Sharpie markers in assorted colors
- Twine / ribbon in assorted colors
- Color pencils for detailing (This is optional)
- A working printer
What you do:
Cut out your cardstock to a certain size, gently rounding the edges with scissors. (I was not particular about size and went with both rectangular and square options; 5″ x 4″).
- This is the fun part, picking good silhouette images for your favorite characters. I went with a bunch of different ones – Gandalf, Bilbo, Aragorn, Thorin and more. Print these out on regular paper.
- Cut out the image carefully and lay it on your cardstock, depending on where you want to stick it.
- For Bilbo, I found a color silhouette that I used with my yellow cardstock. I colored his face with yellow pencil to match.
- Add a thin layer of mod podge or glue to the back and stick on to the cardstock. Gently smooth out the image with your finger to remove bubbles.
- I added the name ‘Bilbo Baggins’ using a thin black sharpie.
- Use a pin or the end of your scissors to make a small hole at the top center and thread some twine through. You can either make a knot with the two free ends or add some charms / tassels at the end.
- For Gandalf, I chose a silhouette of him holding his staff and repeated steps 2-6. I added the words ‘You shall not pass’ and ‘Gandalf the grey’ using a thicker sharpie.
- For Legolas, I used a pencil to draw an outline of an arrow and filled it in with a black sharpie. I stuck a silhouette of Legolas over and added some twine to the center of the bookmark.
- For Gollum, I added mountain and icicle silhouettes with a black sharpie and stuck the image on top. I added the words ‘My Precious’ and ‘Gollum’ and added some fuzzy ribbon instead of twine just because I had some left from a different project.
- Aragorn was the quite easy to do. A cut out on yellow cardstock and some detailing (a sword) with brown pencil and added some fuzzy ribbon.
- Arwen was a bit of a challenge because I couldn’t find the right image. I found one after a lot of searching on the internet. I drew the elf symbol and stuck the image over it. I wrote ‘I would rather share one lifetime with you’ in fine black sharpie.
- Thorin was the easiest. A white cardstock with a silhouette and his name on the side, all in black.
I have another LOTR DIY bookmark post in the works focusing on some famous quotes; check it out here LOTR: Memorable Quotes. Hope this inspires you to get creative and make some 🙂