A wonderful and fun DIY to do with kids or by yourself… Shrinky Dink Pins, but with a HP theme to it.
You will need:
- Shrinky dink sheets (any craft store will have them; usually they are 6-8 sheets in a packet)
- Safety Pins (I got mine at Michaels; Safety Pins – Michaels)
- Thin black sharpie and scissors
- Assorted acrylic paints
- A baking pan and foil
What you do:
- First decide what characters you’d like as pins. I started with Dobby the elf, Hedwig and a golden snitch. Find some clear images online and use them as a reference to draw on the shrinky dink sheet. Let the sharpie dry.
- Make sure you choose images that are slightly bigger than normal, since they will shrink to about 1/4th the original size.
- Paint the designs (gold and silver for the snitch, white and silver for hedwig etc) and let everything dry. Add a layer of mod podge to seal the paint before baking.
- Cut out the designs from the sheet and lay them paint side up on a baking tray lined with foil.
- Pre-heat your oven to 340-350 deg.
- Place the tray in the oven and leave for 5-6 min. Make sure your images have shrunk before pulling out the tray. Some ovens require longer time or higher temps.
- Once the images have cooled, turn them over and use hot glue to attach a pin to each for fastening.
- Optional: Paint the hot glue white to blend it with the paper.
I made a total of 5 HP themed pins and 2 for Game of Thrones – a Jon Snow silhouette and a dragon on an egg. Love how they turned out 😀