I received a nautical themed leather-bound diary for my birthday that I recycled into the ‘Red book of Westmarch’ from LOTR. Love how it turned out 🙂
What you need:
- An old leather bound book (from any craft store)
- Red acrylic paint by ‘Leather Studio‘ (Leather Studio – Michaels)
- Thin, fine sharpies – Black, Silver
- Pencil, ruler and paintbrushes
- Optional: X-acto knife
What you do:
- Start by painting the entire book red, using the ‘leather studio‘ acrylic paint. Apply 2-3 coats evenly and let dry for an hour in between (I had an old leather book that I painted from blue to red). Leave the book to dry overnight.
- Using the pencil, trace out the front design on the red book following a google image (this is the one I used; Red Book Front Cover). Once traced, color the lines in with the black sharpie. If the pencil lines are not clear, gently trace over the lines with the X-acto knife to give a clearer view.
- Use the silver to trace over the ‘Star’ at the top and ‘BB’ at the bottom of the cover.
- I used the IndyProp website for LOTR (follow link here: IndyProp) to find the font and some content written inside the book. I wrote out the pages in pencil following Bilbo’s handwriting as best as I could.
- The first page was the title page with the following: ‘there and back again. a hobbit tale by bilbo baggins’
- Second page was an account of Bilbo finding the one ring with a map of Misty Mountains.
- Third was an image of Durin’s Door with Bilbo’s first meeting with Gandalf.
- I left the rest of the pages blank to use as a diary. You can add more designed pages if you like. After closing the book, gently spray the outsides with a sealant to maintain the integrity of the leather paint (spray a certain distance away from the book so the pages do not get stuck together; make sure the spray flows as a fine mist).
And your journal is ready to use. Enjoy 🙂
Here are a few more close up pictures of the inner pages.