The most memorable part of Season 1 for me were when Daenerys sees her eggs for the first time and after, when they hatch. I tried to make my own Khaleesi eggs and they turned out pretty decent, although I did get impatient with the last one.
What you need:
- 3 wooden eggs (Link: Michaels Egg)
- Stiff card stock paper (preferably light colored)
- Spray paint – Dark Basil Green, Maroon, Light Ivory
- Mod Podge – Matte
- Hot glue – Lots of it
- Pencil and X-Acto knife / Scissors
- White granulated sand (Link: Michaels Sand Granules / White)
- Paint palette
What you do:
- Cut the card stock paper into little scaly pieces of different sizes (like a curved triangle_. You will have to make a lot for 3 eggs; this can be very time consuming and annoying, honestly (but you’ll be so relieved when you’re finally done).
- Clean and dry your eggs. Use a pencil to draw lines as strips around the egg as a base for sticking your scales.
- Start by sticking the first scale at the bottom. Use hot glue across the middle of the scale and firmly stick it on. Keep doing this all around the circle.
- For the circle right above, offset the first scale in between the bottom two, and stick the top of the scale. Keep doing this all around until you reach the top of the egg. Make sure you use the fatter scales at the bottom and the thinner ones as you get to the top. Do this for all 3 eggs.
- Use the spray paint to color the eggs green, red and white. You will have to use 3-4 coats. Let it dry for 24 hrs.
- Add some sand in 3 cups of the palette and spray paint each color into each cup. Mix uniformly to get green, red and white sand.
- Add some matte mod podge to the base of the egg and add the corresponding colored sand to the bottom of the egg to give it an old, buried, fossilized look. You can haphazardly also coat a few scales. Repeat this for all eggs and let dry.
You can place them in a box lined with fake grass to complete the look. As you can see, I got a little impatient with the white egg so the scales aren’t evenly stuck on :(.